9 years in a row Gartner, the world’s leading technology research and consulting firm, names ServiceNow a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Platforms. And the gap between the renowned company and its competitors is getting bigger and bigger. In this article, we discover why ServiceNow ITSM has succeeded.
What is ITSM in ServiceNow
ITSM stands for Information Technology Service Management and is a framework of best practices for managing IT services within an enterprise. It ensures that IT services are consistent, reliable, and cost-efficient and are delivered to a company’s employees and customers on time. In ServiceNow, ITSM is a suite of applications that help businesses automate, manage, and track IT services, including incident, problem, change, and service request management.
ITSM vs ITIL
ITSM (IT Service Management) and ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) are related concepts but differ. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two.
As mentioned, ITSM guides how to ensure that IT services are aligned with the needs of the business and how to manage service delivery.
ITIL, on the other hand, is a set of best practices and standards for IT service management. It helps organizations to develop and maintain a structured approach to IT service management.
So the main difference between ITSM and ITIL is that the second focuses on IT. While ITIL tells how to deliver services. ITSM focuses on the business. It is a methodology, required tools, and procedures allowing organizations to define what to offer. In other words, ITSM utilizes ITIL and adjusts it to business goals to effectively provide IT services to end users.
ServiceNow Named a Leader by Gartner ITSM Magic Quadrant
The Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM is the gold-standard resource defining the best ITSM software vendors, benefits, and limitations. Being one of 10 featured firms in this list is an outstanding achievement, and being a leader is a real success.
Last 9 years, ServiceNow ITSM has been on top of the Gartner Magic Quadrant. In 2022, the framework was positioned as the highest in execution and the furthest in vision among its competitors. And there are several reasons why ServiceNow is an unquestionable and uncompetitive leader in the field:
- It allows its users to consolidate IT service delivery on a single cloud platform instead of dealing with non-collaborative on-premises solutions.
- It provides its customers with additional AI solutions for better productivity.
- Its solution is available on multiple platforms and allows use on the go, including via Amazon Connect, Slack, Facebook Workplace, and Microsoft Teams messaging.
Benefits of ServiceNow ITSM Modules
Products and functionalities were among the main issues that made Gartner highly evaluate ServiceNow ITSM. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning-based tools like Predictive Intelligence, Performance Analytics, and Virtual Agent make it easier to optimize processes. And with the integrated DevOps and SRE, users can get the highest flexibility available on the market. Let’s see the benefits of the ServiceNow ITSM Modules in more detail.
ServiceNow Predictive Intelligence
ServiceNow Predictive Intelligence is a cloud-based machine learning platform that enables customers to quickly and easily build and deploy AI-driven applications. It provides a comprehensive set of tools to automate the process of understanding customer data, building predictive models, and delivering actionable insights to ensure customer success.
- Automated Problem Detection: ServiceNow Predictive Intelligence can detect and automatically identify problems before they occur, reducing time and manual effort spent on problem-solving. It can reduce the cost and time of resolving issues and increase efficiency.
- Improved Response Time: IT teams can respond more quickly to incidents and issues using ServiceNow Predictive Intelligence. It can minimize disruption to services and ensure business continuity.
- Increased Security: By providing organizations with visibility into their IT environment, ServiceNow Predictive Intelligence can help identify potential security threats and prevent them from occurring.
- Staying ahead of the competition. With predictive intelligence forecasting, you can anticipate customer needs to better and quicker satisfy them.
ServiceNow Performance Analytics
ServiceNow Performance Analytics is a business intelligence and analytics platform that enables organizations to monitor and optimize performance across their entire enterprise. Some of its benefits include the following:
- Improved visibility: Performance analytics offer businesses improved visibility of performance data. It helps them gain insights into their operations and identify areas for improvement.
- Automated reporting: Performance analytics automate reports and custom dashboards creation. It reduces manual labor and improves the accuracy of the insights.
- More informed decisions: Performance analytics provide real-time insights into the performance of an organization against key performance indicators, measure service levels, and identify trends and opportunities for improvement. It allows businesses to make informed decisions more quickly and efficiently.
- Reduced costs: Performance analytics help companies reduce costs by identifying areas for efficiency and improvement. It leads to increased profits and improved organizational performance.
Continual Improvement Management
ServiceNow Continual Improvement Management (CIM) is an approach that helps organizations to ensure their business processes are constantly improving. It focuses on identifying areas of improvement, setting goals, and tracking progress.
- Advanced improvement tracking: CIM provides a centralized platform to define and manage improvement initiatives, measure performance and analyze trends, and review and report on results. It helps organizations effectively manage and prioritize improvement efforts, track progress, and make informed decisions about the best use of resources.
- Real-time analytics: This provides up-to-date information on the performance of processes, products, and services. Real-time analytics identify potential improvement areas and measure the effectiveness of implemented changes.
- Agent training: The coaching plugin is an essential part of the ServiceNow continual improvement program and helps to automatically start virtual training for service desk agents when it is critically necessary.
Service Operations Workspace
ServiceNow Service Operations Workspace is a platform that provides you with an integrated set of tools to handle multiple IT Service Management and IT Operations Management workflows in a tailored manner. It has a modern, intuitive user and offers comprehensive features to help you automate and manage your service operations, including tailored recommendations, incident management, experts on-call, a landing page, a walk-up experience, and more. Service Operations Workspace also provides an integrated guided setup solution that provides administrators with a guided experience for the initial configuration of the workspace.
DevOps Change Management
Due to a partnership between GitLab and ServiceNow, automating all the steps of change creation, tracking, and approval is possible. Automation streamlines the incident and change management process, eliminating the need for manual processes and ensuring that all tasks are completed on time. Automation can also help ensure that all changes are appropriately documented and tracked. It also minimizes incidents and dramatically lowers the cost of changes.
Some of the solution’s benefits include:
Modern DevOps Practices
Modern development practices are constantly evolving as technology advances. Implementing a multimodal change model is one of the most effective ways to ensure that development teams keep up with these changes. A multimodal change model allows organizations to tailor their change activities to meet their needs best.
Automation of Approvals
The built-in Change Success Score feature automatically approves low-risk changes. It can reduce the number of manual approvals that need to be completed, saving time and resources. The change success score is calculated based on various factors, such as the impact of the change, the complexity of the change, and the potential risks associated with the change. The difference may be automatically approved if the shift success score is within an acceptable range.
Acceleration of Changes
Automated change frameworks allow for faster deployments and more efficient updates, which reduces the time and effort required to make changes. It can help ensure that changes are made consistently and reliably, reducing the risk of mistakes or delays caused by miscommunication. Additionally, they can help bridge the gap between IT and DevOps teams by providing a common language and method for making changes.
Integration of change processes
ServiceNow includes CAB Workbench, a powerful tool for IT organizations to manage change processes across their IT environment. It provides a single, auditable repository of all planned changes that can be used to identify, track, and review them. The CAB Workbench also allows users to generate reports and perform impact analysis on planned changes, helping to reduce the risk of change-related issues.
Why Choose ServiceNow ITSM
Forbes named ServiceNow number one on its list of the world’s most innovative companies, largely thanks to the success of ITSM. The magazine also highlighted that ServiceNow occupies half of the ITSM market, outperforming legacy companies such as BMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cherwell Software, and CA Technologies.
The advantages that allow ServiceNow ITSM to stand out from the competition that resulted in such a significant appraisal are as follows:
ServiceNow has local sales and support organizations across North America, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. The company also markets its products through third-party channels such as systems integrators, service providers, and resale partners. Such a considerable business presence allowed ServiceNow to provide outstanding customer support even during the pandemic.
Streamlined Service Delivery
ServiceNow ITSM provides an integrated cloud-based platform for workflow automation, service request management, and incident reporting. It allows organizations to create a streamlined service delivery process that reduces manual steps and accelerates service delivery times.
ServiceNow ITSM platform is highly agile due to the availability of such tools as Predictive Intelligence, Performance Analytics, and Virtual Agents. The platform is the only kind that also supports DevOps and SRE (site reliability expectations).
While its competitors rely on third-party partnerships for AI and machine learning, ServiceNow has made several platform-level acquisitions (including DxContinuum, Qlue, and Parlo) to give its customers a chance to increase productivity with its ITSM modules.
High integration capability: ServiceNow ITSM integrates with other business applications and data sources, enabling organizations to create unified IT service experiences and drive better business outcomes.
A holistic ITSM strategy is critical for today’s businesses, with 89% reporting it’s added value to the organization. That’s why more and more companies opt for ServiceNow ITSM, the world leader in IT service management (ITSM) solutions. It offers comprehensive, enterprise-level solutions and capabilities that enable organizations to optimize IT service delivery. Its main features include automated incident management, problem management, change management, asset management, service request management, and self-service. It also provides powerful analytics and reporting capabilities with integrated AI and machine learning technologies that enable organizations to measure and improve their IT service delivery performance.